Guild member R.C. Brooks returns with more Lands in the Clouds, a home-brewed OGL setting and system.
The House of Ascen, or simply Ascen, is the sect devoted to that which is good. More specifically, good is that which edifies. It heals the soul. In the world they are often the shelter for those dealing with grief and loss. Mechanically they are the House that deals with SPIRIT damage and combating evil entities. The House of Holma may heal the body, but SPIRIT wounds are more dangerous and can fester.
Typical temples are humble buildings often in poor or otherwise troubled areas as that is where they are needed most. Almost all carry low level tokens.
Once per game session, a character of the House of Ascen may use his SPIRIT score as an attack, defense or damage reduction vs SPIRIT opponents/damage.
- Protection from Evil: +2 to AC and saves, counter mind control, hedge out elementals and outsiders.
- Aid: +1 on attack rolls, +1 on saves against fear, 1d8 temporary SPIRIT +1/level (max +10).
- Shelter (Magic Circle against Evil): As Protection from Evil, but 10-ft. radius and 10 min./level.
- Holy Smite: Damages and blinds evil creatures.
- Dispel Evil: +4 bonus against attacks by evil creatures.
- Heroes’ Feast: Food for one creature/level cures and grants combat bonuses.
- Holy Word: Kills, paralyzes, slows, or deafens non-good subjects.
- Holy Aura: +4 to AC, +4 resistance, and SR 25 against evil spells.
- Grace: Removes all STRESS points for any willing up to 1 character/lvl in the House.