The House of Holma is the branch tasked with healing. Despite what would be expected, Holma is one of the most highly criticized Houses. Naturally, their abilities are in high demand which has often made them the targets of extortion, kidnapping and bribery. Due to those realities they are secretive and mostly nomadic. Their own temples are unmarked, located in difficult to reach areas or out of sight in dark alleys. These serve as reprieves and safe houses for them. Everywhere they go they are in high demand if their GIFT is discovered. Instead, they work with the other Houses and travel to where they are needed for a few days before moving onto the next.
GM Note: Holma is intended to be a difficult House to play. If the PC’s identity is discovered they will be pursued. Sometimes the need is legitimate and sometimes it is born out of greed. The player should feel cautious any time they reveal their GIFT
Granted Power: Once per game session the character can use any talent they have without fuel or tokens.
- Cure Light Wounds: Cures 1d8 damage +1/level (max +5).
- Neutralize Poison: Immunizes subject against poison, detoxifies venom in or on subject.
- Cure Moderate Wounds: Cures 2d8 damage +1/level (max +10).
- Remove Blindness/Deafness: Cures normal or magical conditions.
- Cure Serious Wounds: Cures 3d8 damage +1/level (max +15).
- Remove Disease: Cures all diseases affecting subject.
- Cure Light Wounds, Mass: Cures 1d8 damage +1/level (max +25) for many creatures.
- Heal: Cures 10 points/level of damage, all diseases and mental conditions.
- Regenerate: Subject’s severed limbs grow back, cures 4d8 damage +1/level (max +35).
Guild member R.C. Brooks returns with more Lands in the Clouds, a home-brewed OGL setting and system.
The House of Ascen, or simply Ascen, is the sect devoted to that which is good. More specifically, good is that which edifies. It heals the soul. In the world they are often the shelter for those dealing with grief and loss. Mechanically they are the House that deals with SPIRIT damage and combating evil entities. The House of Holma may heal the body, but SPIRIT wounds are more dangerous and can fester.
Typical temples are humble buildings often in poor or otherwise troubled areas as that is where they are needed most. Almost all carry low level tokens.
Once per game session, a character of the House of Ascen may use his SPIRIT score as an attack, defense or damage reduction vs SPIRIT opponents/damage.
- Protection from Evil: +2 to AC and saves, counter mind control, hedge out elementals and outsiders.
- Aid: +1 on attack rolls, +1 on saves against fear, 1d8 temporary SPIRIT +1/level (max +10).
- Shelter (Magic Circle against Evil): As Protection from Evil, but 10-ft. radius and 10 min./level.
- Holy Smite: Damages and blinds evil creatures.
- Dispel Evil: +4 bonus against attacks by evil creatures.
- Heroes’ Feast: Food for one creature/level cures and grants combat bonuses.
- Holy Word: Kills, paralyzes, slows, or deafens non-good subjects.
- Holy Aura: +4 to AC, +4 resistance, and SR 25 against evil spells.
- Grace: Removes all STRESS points for any willing up to 1 character/lvl in the House.
In ages past, when the Harbingers made landfall at Cloudhead, they brought the GIFTS with them. Since that day, people in the solar system have discovered special abilities given to them. The GIFTS were to help the people thrive together and to fight against the evils which had implanted themselves into the solar system. People bearing similar GIFTS gathered together and formed what now are referred to as Houses. These Houses are not geographical distinctions, but rather talent distinctions. There are 12 Great Houses representing the most prominent GIFTS. There are unrepresented GIFTS, but they are exceedingly rare.
The Houses function like churches. The Houses are most like religious organizations and all share the same faith but pursue the tenets through the GIFTS they have. There are different sects within each House but they largely share the same principles and work towards the same goals. Read more